People, who live in humid and cold weather area, must know about the chilblains. Basically, it is a medical condition that takes place due to the sudden change in the climate like the sudden warming of the skin due to cold temperature exposure. The change in temperature causes the expansion in blood vessels that lead the leakage of blood in near tissues of the body. It can affect different parts of the body such as hands, fingers, toes, earlobes, feet and nose. It may cause blister in an affected areas and there is also a risk of ulceration and infection.
Symptoms of Chilblains:
Some symptoms are as follow:
- Intense itching
- Redness may occur on the affected areas
- Burning sensation
- Swelling or pain
This problem is not limited with any age group but commonly, it takes place in children and elderly people. Probably, it is found more in women as compare to men. Following are the effective way to prevent and heal Chilblains.
It is important to massage your legs and hands with the onset of the month of winter. You should do it gently in the circular motion twice a day in the early morning and before going to bed. It will help you to improve blood circulation and also minimize the risk of Chilblains. Following are the things that you can use to do massage.
- You can use Palm oil or coaster oil.
- You can also add few drops of an essential oil such as lemon or lavender into any good and beneficial vegetable oil.
Onion is traditional way to prevent and heal chilblains.It has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties in it that will help you to reduce pain, swelling and itching. The use of onion also reduces the risk of infection and dryness.
- Take one onion and cut it into thick slice.
- Rub the slice on the affected areas properly.
- Do it for 15 minutes.
- Then wipe it off with the warm washcloth.
- Do it twice a week
- You can also grind an onion into paste and then apply it. Both ways are beneficial to cure it.
Calendula is also very useful to heal Chilblains. It contains anti-inflammatory properties in it that helps to minimize the pain and inflammation. It shows quick heeling results as compare to other remedies.
- Take calendula flower and add water in it.
- Boil it for at least 15 minutes.
- Let it be dry properly
- After that, add sea salt in it.
- Take a washcloth, soak it in the Calendula boiled water and put the cloth on the affected areas for 5 minutes. Then soak it again and then put it back. Repeat it doing for half an hour.
- Do it once a day daily.
The use of Garlic to heal and prevent Chilblains:
Garlic is one of the best remedy to cure it immediately. it will reduce pain, itching and swelling quickly.
- Take garlic oil.
- Rub the affected area with it.
Do it twice a day daily.